Our work encompasses animal genetic resources and breeding, animal reproduction, eco-friendly animal husbandry, prataculture, control and utilization of animal wastes, crop and animal integrated farming with a focus on animals and their wastes, grass and forage production. The Institute also hosts a Key Laboratory for Crop and Animal Integrated Farming, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, a National Innovation Base for Forage Breeding of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and a Scientific Observing and Experimental Station for Development and Utilization of Rural Renewable Energy (East China), Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs. The Circular Agriculture Research Center is affiliated to the Institute.
Pig industry is one of the most important part of Chinese Agriculture. Breeding of pigs is the critical segment of pig industry. Researchers are engaging in resources reserved and breeding of pigs with traditional methods, Genome-wide association and gene editing. Focus on reproduction and disease resistance, screening of molecular markers, mechanisms of candidate genes are also conducting with Omics methods. Also, facilities adapt to welfare or intensive production pattern are also concerned.
Keywords: pig breeding, Genome-wide association Analysis, Gene editing, production pattern
1. Livestock and poultry reproduction regulation technology: in light of the research assignments of animal variety improvement and breeding key laboratory, it studies the technology of breeding goose off-season reproduction, the technology of improving animal reproductive performance, the mechanism of livestock and poultry reproduction and endocrine regulation, and the determination method of poultry hormones.
2. Production and environmental control: study the new model of duck and goose breeding, equipment and environmental control of breeding facilities, resource treatment of excrements and modern goose industry development. Those related technologies will be promoted and adopted accordingly.
3. Goose nutrition and feed formulation technology: study the nutrition and environmental control technology of gout disease in goslings, the development of healthy feed for commercial meat goose, the nutrition supply and feed formulation in different reproductive stages of breeding goose.
In light of the reproduction and environmental problems of poultry scale farming, key technologies of poultry breeding regulation and environmental control are studied to provide technical support for the healthy and sustainable development of poultry scale farming. There are 14 members in the research lab, including 7 with senior titles and 11 with doctorate degrees, 1 national candidate for the “New Century Talents Project" and 1 post scientist for the technical system of the national waterfowl industry. We have undertaken more than 40 national, provincial and ministerial level projects, including 5 projects of the National Natural Science Foundation, 1 project of post scientists for the technical system of the national waterfowl industry, and 1 project of the fund industrial chain for independent innovation of agricultural science and technology in Jiangsu Province. The lab made more than 50 papers, including more than 20 SCI papers (5 papers in the Impact Factor Zone II); applied more than 20 patents and over 10 got authorized, obtained 1 software copyright, and published 1 book. The "Integration and Promotion of Intensive, Efficient and Healthy Waterfowl Breeding Technology" won the first prize of the 8th Jiangsu Agricultural Technology Promotion Award in 2017. The research lab has established a standardized experimental poultry farm in Liuhe Animal Science Base and a demonstration base for waterfowl with Sun-lake Swan of Changzhou City.
1. Sheep germplasm conservation and utilization: collection and preservation of local sheep breed characteristic breed resources, and development and integrated application of molecular breeding technology.
2. Research and application of dairy cow breeding technology: dairy cow production performance measurement (DHI) to promote herd genetic improvement; aiming at important economic traits of dairy cows, carry out new dairy cow germplasm breeding with high quality, high yield and heat resistance characteristics; and integration and application of in vitro production technology (OPU) of embryos of dairy cows.
3. Research and development of efficient, green and healthy breeding technology for cattle and sheep: innovation, research and development of ecology, emission reduction, healthy breeding technology and research and development of related products, aiming at common technical problems in cattle and sheep industry, including research and development of fermented feed for cattle and sheep, rumen bypass technology, anti-stress technology, planning design and facility engineering technology, and so on.
Conservation, exploitation and utilization of germplasm resources: maintenance and renewal of germplasm resources of Su Long Hair Rabbit, New Zealand White Rabbit and Fujian Yellow Rabbit, as well as the development and utilization of economic traits.
At present, the automatic feeding system and light control technology for rabbits have been developed, and the formulation of non-resistant ration has been developed to achieve phased feeding and to form a highly-efficient and ecological feeding technology for rabbits. Researches on ectopic fermentation bed have been conducted to establish a sound ectopic fermentation treatment for of excrement, achieving the resource utilization of excrement.
Our team usually focus on the development and application of fermentation feed, probiotics preparation and functional additive, studying their role in improving animal immunity, improving intestinal health and promoting growth, which can provide antibiotic substitution solutions for livestock enterprises. We also study the interaction mechanism between intestinal microorganisms and nutrient metabolism, intestinal barrier and neuroendocrine, and improve the function of intestinal microorganisms by means of nutritional regulation.
Key words: Feeds and nutrition; antibiotic substitution; gut health
There are two research directions of forage breeding and ecological application, aiming at safety and efficiency, ecological cycle and green development. The team carries out research on key technologies about forage germplasm innovation, forage breeding and livestock raising, soil improvement and ecological restoration and utilization. The team also carried out technical integration and demonstration and promotion. The research of forage breeding includes the breeding of new forage varieties, collection, evaluation and preservation of germplasm resources, research of forage breeding technology; the ecological application research includes high quality and high efficient forage cultivation techniques and ecological applications.
Forage cultivation and processing; Feeding utilization of agricultural by-products; Harmless treatment of livestock and poultry manure
The roughage utilization of rice straw
The feeding utilization of rice straw could relieve the environment pollution caused by straw burning in south China where is the main planting area of rice. Feeding utilization of straw could also provide ample roughage for ruminants, so as to solve the shortage of roughage in agricultural area. Ensilaging could efficiently preserve the nutrients of fresh straw and improve its palatability. In recent years, we have been doing research on the roughage utilization of rice straw, including the double-purpose rice variety selection, the cultivation methods to improve rice straw feeding quality, the bale ensilaging technology and the feeding safety of rice straw silage, so as to supply instructions for increasing rice straw utility rate as roughage.
1. The feeding quality of different parts of rice plant
The nonstructural carbohydrates (NSC) content in the top 3rd stem, and the crude protein (CP) content in the top 1st leaf were higher than other parts of the plant (p<0.05). However, the acid detergent fiber (ADF) content in sheath and the hemicelluloses content in leaf were higher than in stem (p<0.05). The in vitro dry matter digestibility (IVDMD) of stem was significantly higher than leaf and sheath (p<0.05).
2. Double-purpose rice variety selection and their morphological traits
The good quality double-purpose rice varieties had relatively low plant height and large green leaf area per tiller at harvest; and they also had thick wall thickness, high parenchyma area and low vascular bundle area percentage of the top 3rd internode, and high starch particle quantities in the parenchyma of the 3rd internode.
3. Suitable harvest time for different double-purpose rice varieties
In order to get high rice straw feeding quality, not significantly decreasing grain yielding, we concluded that the optimal harvest time of Liangyoupeijiu (late maturing medium indica) was 6 d before theoretical whole growth period (TWP), Nanjing 44 (early maturing late japonica) and Wuyujing 3 (late maturing medium japonica) were 3 d after TWP, and Nanjing 46 (medium maturing late japonica) was 6 d after TWP.
4. The bale ensilaging technology
By selecting special microflora in silage, inventing the baling and automatic spraying equipment of lactic acid solution, the rice straw ensilaging quality was improved and could be made TMR for dairy cattle.
5. The feeding safety of rice straw silage
The slathering, and even overcommiting of pesticide during rice growth period would bring hidden danger for rice straw used as roughage. The degradation rate of pesticide in straw of silage was significantly lower than that of natural withering. According to the residues of pesticide in rice straw whether by natural withering or ensilaging, the feeding for animals was all at safety level after harvested 35 days.
6. Isolation and identification of lactic acid bacteria in rice straw silage
The diversities of cultivable microorganisms in both pre and post-ensiled straws were investigated and two strains of lactic acid bacteria from post-ensilage straw were isolated. There are not only spoilage organisms (Bacillus), but also pathogen pathogenic bacterium (Enterobacter) in pre-ensiled straw. After ensiled, the mainly putrefying bacterium is Bacillus and corruption fungi consist of Penicillium and Fusarium. Two strains of isolated 1actic acid bacteria are Lactobacillus casei and Pediococcus ethanolidurans. There are still spoilage organisms in post ensiled straw. Therefore, fermentation process should be improved to prevent aerobic deterioration.
Treatment of agricultural and food wastes for pollution prevention and resource utilization; anaerobic digestion, fermenter operation and bioprocessing optimization; treatment technology assessment; environmental impact assessment; solid waste management, desalination; air quality control for animal; study of biological, physical, and chemical processing techniques for organic waste conversion and nutrient management; microbial culture techniques and microbial screening & fermentation; the utilization of the waste biomass resources; metabolic flux analysis; control of gaseous and particulate emissions from animal feedlots processing facilities.
The team focuses on the research of pollution control in animal husbandry and resource utilization of manure, including:
1)Technologies of livestock waste greenhouse gas emission mitigation: Livestock waste collection and storage technology; Anaerobic digestion processing regulation technology; Livestock manure nutrients management; Carbon emission reduction accounting and assessment.
2)Technologies of waste bio-conversion and feed protein synthesis: Insect resource mining and evaluation for high-efficiency conversion of organic waste; Industrialized production technology for feed protein bioconversion from organic waste.
3)Technologies of livestock wastewater deep purification and microalgae cultivation: Livestock wastewater nutrients recovery; Livestock wastewater deep purification via bacteria-algae symbiosis system; Microalgae large-scale cultivation using biogas slurry.