The predecessor of JAAS was the National Agriculture Experiment Institute established by National Government (Nanjing) in 1932. In 1950, the National Agriculture Experiment Institute, National Livestock Experiment Institute, National Forestry Experiment Institute and Cotton Production Improvement Institute were merged and East China Agricultural Science Research Institute was established. In 1959, Jiangsu branch of Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences was established upon the approval of CPC Jiangsu committee. It was renamed as Jiangsu Agricultural Sciences Research Institute in 1970. In 1977, CPC Jiangsu committee decided to establish Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences and the name has been used till today.